Monday, June 28, 2010

What Is Hayley Reading?

Anyone out there need book suggestions? All 5 or 6 of you who read my blog, that is?? I thought I'd start posting some of the books I'm reading, along with my opinion on them, and a brief (I do mean BRIEF) summary of what they're about, just in case anyone is looking for ideas of something to read. Also, if you are reading this, and have any books you would like to recommend, please comment and let me know! I am a hopeless bookworm, reading as much as I possibly can, and am open to reading any genre of book.

So I have kind of a "system" I stick to, when it comes to what books I read. I try to cycle through four different genres of books:

1) Totally easy, mindless, just-for-fun book (think the equivalent of beach trash)
2) Something still fictional, BUT a LITTLE more "quality", if you will (think, bookclub type material)
3) Something educational (biographies, parenting books, books about politics or current events, books about nutrition, cooking, etc. etc.)
4) Something in the "religious/spiritual" genre (that's really not even a good descriptor, but I can't think of anything else to categorize it as)

So, here's what I've read recently:

1) Cry Wolf by Tami Hoag: definitely mindless, just for fun, and an easy read. I think I read it in about 3 days. I love her books though....always very suspensful, and the setting, for whatever reason, usually takes place in Lousiana (New Orleans), which, for whatever reason, I really like. For what it is, I give it "4 stars".

2) The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini: Love love loved it. I held off reading it for a while, because I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns so much, I was just convinced that this wouldn't be nearly as good. I think I ended up liking it even more though. His books give me a much different picture in my mind of what Afghanistan is (or, at least WAS) like...a much more DESIRABLE picture.

3) Baby Wise Part 2, Gary Ezzo: I've already given my soapbox speech about Babywise. I'm a fan. Part 2 was good....just practical information about feeding, disciplining, and sleep training your 5-8 month old. It was also a pretty easy read, as the majority of it was really just kind of common sense information, anyway.

4) The Reason for God, Tim Keller: SUCH a good book. It addresses so many questions, concerns, doubts, and hesitations that Christians, non-Christians, atheists, and everyone in between may have concerning God, Jesus, the Bible, the Church, and Christianity. Just because I have been a Christian for the majority of my life does not mean that I don't have my own set of doubts and questions. This book addressed them in a way that made perfect sense. It addressed readers on a very intellectual level, but was still relatively easy to read. Read it, people! If nothing else, I'd love to hear someone's take on why they DON'T think the book adequately answered the questions it presented. Could make for good conversation....

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading a book called "The Help"...It was the best book I have read in a while, LOVED it. Just thought I would add a recommendation for what its worth! :) I am just starting to read a book called Sarah's Key. It's set in WWII era and so far its pretty god. I love books written about that time period!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished "The Lovely Bones" and I really liked it - I hear the movie is NOT good, and that the book is waaay better. It is written from a murdered girls perspective in heaven... makes you question if you will be able to see your loved ones once your there. I too have been postponing "The Kite Runner" for some strange reason; I guess it's time I bust that out...and Beth, I have read "Sarah's Key" and loved it. Hayley, I'd love to borrow Baby Wise part 2!

    ReplyDelete