Saturday, December 5, 2009

Gunnar's First Holiday

Just a few weeks after being born, Gunnar was already able to experience his very first holiday...and what an appropriate one! Thanksgiving. Nason and I have plenty of things to be thankful for EVERY year, but we were ESPECIALLY thankful this year, for our sweet little boy. He was a long time coming, but he's finally here!


Anyway, the whole time I was pregnant, I was so excited about the idea of having Gunnar right in the midst of holiday season, and getting to show him off at all sorts of holiday gatherings, where everyone would crowd around and ooh and ahh over him, and remark on how cute he was, how cute his outfit was, how cute his parents are (just kidding), etc. What I WASN'T factoring in in those daydreams, was the fact that a) "Holiday Season" happens to coincide with "Flu Season" and b) upon having a baby, I would turn into a total psychotic, germaphobic, paranoid, Howie Mandel-ish, FREAK. I'm so afraid of Gunnar getting sick with The Dreaded Swine, that I can hardly stand for anyone to so much as LOOK at him, much less TOUCH him. (I'm not claiming that this is right, healthy, or normal, by the way).

So...the idea of him being around tons of people at Thanksgiving was really stressing me out. To get around this problem, we decided we'd do a small-ish Thanksgiving this year. Me, Nason, Gunnar, his parents, my parents, and the Magee clan. Just enough people for it to be festive, but not so many that my scrutinizing eye couldn't keep watch on all people at all times, to ensure that no one was touching Gunnar's hands or face (ha ha...I'm partially kidding). Anyway....at the very last minute, Cousin Aiden got the flu, sadly eliminating the Magees from the festivities, and my parents had car problems, taking them out of the picture as well. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR! I wanted a small-ish gathering, but not THAT small. Our Thanksgiving was beginning to seem a little sad. Just me, Nason, his parents, and Gunnar. Smallest Thanksgiving celebration ever. It ended up being SO nice, though. We spent so much time relaxing, eating our weight in GOOD food, letting Gunnar get uninterrupted loving on by his Grammy and Poppy, and enjoying lots of help/free babysitting for Nason and I, even allowing us to go on a date in Marble Falls one night! It was a different Thanksgiving, but special all the same!









No comments:

Post a Comment