Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Nap Time..Our Least Favorite Time of the Day


Yes, I say "our" least favorite time of the day, because I think Gunnar and I both hate it equally. Nason and I have been very blessed to have a little baby who sleeps really well during the night...unfortunately, the same cannot be said when it comes to his daytime sleeping. Unlike his daddy, napping does not come naturally for Gunnar. It ESPECIALLY does not come naturally when he's in his crib. I may get a nap or two out of him if I allow him to sleep in his swing, or if I rock him for the duration of the nap, but otherwise....nada. This is extremely frustrating, because I can tell that he is tired...his eyes droop, he gets fussy, and he yawns continuously. So when this happens, what does mama do? She picks him up, rocks him for a few minutes, sings to him, lays him down in his crib, and he drifts peacefully off to sleep. For about 15 minutes. Then, he wakes up crying, and nothing, NOTHING, will get him to go back to sleep. He cries as though he is being tortured. As though it is the worst thing that could possibly ever happen to him. Now surely, SURELY we could do worse things to him, than lay him down in a comfy bed, with a comfy blanky (wrapped tightly around him, of course), soft music playing in the background, in a room that is just the right temperature, right? You wouldn't think so from his reaction. You'd think we were laying him on a cement floor, in a freezing cold room, with someone dripping water on his face continuously. Torture. I just do not know what to do with this boy! I dread naptime, because I know it's going to make him upset, and I hate knowing that I am to blame for causing my sweet baby to be sad. HOWEVER...for reasons that would have to be explained in a totally different blog entry, I am DETERMINED to stick to our nap schedule, and DETERMINED to get him to feel comfortable in his own bed, so for now, I am going to have to just toughen up, and continue to be greeted with the sad little face you see pictured above, and naptime will continue to be "our least favorite time of the day".

No comments:

Post a Comment