Monday, January 30, 2012

Potty Training

We may be potty-training around here. I'm just not sure. What I do know, is that the first drops of Gunnar-pee HAVE officially entered a toilet in our home, on three different occasions, over the course of the last two days. Umm.....we weren't going to do this until he turned 3. Unlike most mommies out there, I am really just in no rush to potty train. After 2+ years of changing diapers, I'm kind of used to it. It isn't that difficult, its not that time-consuming, Ok ok...diapers ARE expensive, I suppose, but still....I gave up my Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream a while back, and that stuff is so ridiculously expensive, it practically balances out. Honestly, potty-training just seems like a huge pain in the butt, not even to mention something that interrupts our oh-so-nicely routined days. BUT....Gunnar decided he's ready. I think this is mostly in part to the fact that while I was gone for the day a few weeks ago, Nason took it upon himself to teach Gunnar how to pee outside (like a real man), which apparently ignited an interest in all things "pee-related" for Gunnar (including but not limited to..urine itself, toilets, his man-parts, if you know what I mean, and toilet paper). It also includes visits to the toilet a million times a day, while he sits there for a while, toots, laughs, plays with himself, plays with the toilet paper roll, plays with the toilet water, and yes...occasionally...pees. If that's not toilet-training, I don't know what is! But.....I haven't read a potty-training book yet! I haven't made a plan yet! I haven't written out the instructions for "Potty Training Boot Camp" (everything I decide Gunnar needs to learn, from sleep scheduling, to table manners...still haven't accomplished that one, by the way....to discipline, to potty-training, gets labeled "Boot Camp" by me). So I'm not too sure what to do. I'm thinking about frantically reading through "PottyWise" over the weekend, and officially starting this Boot Camp up on Monday, but I'm not totally sold yet. Everyone says, "if he's ready, don't ignore it!". To that I say...."Uggggghhhhhhhh" and "You're probably right". So that being said, any of you have good, tried-and-true suggestions on Potty Training books or strategies that you care to share with me?
(We've perfected our technique since this picture was taken, and he sits on the toilet like a normal toddler would do. Much to Nason's surprise and disappointment, Gunnar isn't ready to stand and aim yet. Big shocker there.)

2 comments:

  1. I was right there with you and anti potty training but once you get over the hump its great! promise! I read and followed How to Potty Train in 1 Day (Leah Hoyts suggestion) and loved it. Its not really done in one day but its a great way to bite the bullet in one day and not look back. Oh, and she taught me how to have Alex lean over the toilet with hands on the back tank and so there is no aiming- goes in every time- and they can stand like daddy :) GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete