Friday, June 29, 2012

Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That....

Friday afternoons during Gunnar's nap time USED to be my designated "do nothing" time.  Every other day during his nap, I would fill the ENTIRE time with a hefty list of to-do's, but for that one day, my naptime itinerary would be: 1) Do nothing 2) Read blogs 3) Play on Facebook 4) Do nothing.  In January though, after sitting down and kind of restructuring my days/time/priorities, I decided to scrap that habit, and use my Friday afternoons a little more wisely.  Today though, for this one Friday only, I'm doing NOTHING again.  Nothing that is, except updating my blog with "a little bit of this and a little bit of that"....

So here are some things we've been up to:

Well, for starters, it was SUPER hard getting back into the swing of things, after our vacation.  It seriously took me the whole week of being home, to feel like I was back in the groove.  That's a little excessive I know...we were only gone for four days, not a month....but it really did take the full week.

We took Gunnar to see his second movie ever (and it was the first one I ever went to with him.  Nason took him to see the Muppets, while I was out of town back in December).  He did really good!  A few times, we had to bribe him with Skittles to stay still and quiet (that's some incredibly awesome parenting, right there), but it did the trick.





In REALLY big news, Mission 82:3, the organization that Nason and I, along with our friends the Hunt's and the Box's, started up last year, put on it's first official fundraising event!  It's been a long time coming, and we were so excited to finally be able to put an event on a for a family that's adopting.  We did a movie night at Alamo Drafthouse, with a silent auction.  The family we are assisting, Jeremy and Ashley Self, received a portion of the ticket sales, as well as ALL of the proceeds from the silent auction, totaling over $6,000.  We definitely learned a lot through the experience...quite a few things we need to figure out better ways of doing next time around....but overall, we were very pleased, and were so happy to be a small part of helping to bring Schella home!



I already posted this video on to Facebook, but in case you missed it (I mean, in case you don't stalk my Facebook page non-stop, so as to never miss a SINGLE thing that I post), here it is again:

 https://vimeo.com/44736904 




If you want to know more about the Self's and their story, and/or donate to the fund to bring Schella home, you can do that here:  http://www.mission823.com/partners


We started potty training!!!  I'm completely at a loss of exactly what kind of report to give you on this...if you'd asked me last week how it was going, I would have said, "SOOOOOO good.  Hardly any accidents, pee OR poo (oh the things you talk about on a blog, when you're a mom), one of the easiest things ever!  If you'd asked me Monday-Wed of THIS week, I would have said, "pretty good.  A few accidents, but overall, still doing good".  If you'd asked me yesterday, I would have probably growled in your face, thrown something at you, and then pointed to the poo smeared on my arm, the floor, and the toilet seat, because we seemed to have had nothing BUT accidents yesterday.  Now today, we're back to doing pretty good again.  So it doesn't really seem to be a gradual improvement each day, rather, it kind of seems to be all over the place.  Literally.  Ha.  A friend recommended this book/method to me, so I'm going to read that over the weekend, and begin implementing that on Monday.


We said goodbye to some great friends.  The Barrington's, our friends from church, and our small group, are moving back to California.  Like, they're actually en route this very second.  We've only known them for just under a year now, and for a good portion of that year, we've known that they were most likely moving back home to California, but it's still sad!  The one positive about the whole thing (well, except for the measly little "positive" of them doing what they feel that God is asking them to do, and the other measly little "positive" of them being close to family again, and the OTHER measly little "positive" of it being a great career move for Tommy...the one positive besides all that, is that we now have a great reason to visit California, AND somewhere to stay when we do!





(I didn't have any great pictures of their whole family...mostly just ones with only Janay in the picture...so I stole this off their blog.  Is that weird, Janay? ;)  )

I'm still reading the Hunger Games (almost done with Catching Fire now), and I still feel the same way as before...I LIKE them, but I don't get the whole craze surrounding them.  I give the books a solid A-, maybe even a B+, and I'm really just so surprised by that, because it seems like every person I know, no matter their age, personality, TYPICAL taste in books, etc all LOVED the series, and claimed to have not even been able to put the books down....and I'm just not feeling that.  Call me weird.  I'm more feeling like I want to hurry and finish them, so I can move on to the next thing.  I'm..dare I say it...a bit bored by them?!?

Oh, I was going to do some "picture dumping", until I realized that pretty much every picture I have on my phone, I've already posted to Facebook.  Wow, that's a bit much, huh?  Do I really need to share EVERY shot I ever take, with the entire Facebook community?  Could I not just experience an event without making sure all of Facebook sees it/knows about it?  You'd think my life was so exciting, judging by how I apparently feel as though everyone I know is dying to be privvy to all the details of it.  By the way, I've been thinking that the whole concept of "checking in" places, is so stupid.  I do it, for sure.  I may even continue to do it, but it's definitely one of those things that when I REALLY think about it, I'm like, "why the heck do I do that??".  "Hey Everyone!  I just checked in to H-E-B!  Isn't that awesome??" "Hey Guys!  Well, here I am having dinner at Chuy's.  I better go ahead and "check in" so that in case there's an emergency and you need to find me, you can come here and get me!". WTH??? No one cares!!  Right??? (Although I will say I KIND of care about other people's check-ins.  Gotta make sure they're not doing something more fun than me! Ha ha).  Anyway, I did find one picture on my phone that I didn't post on Facebook, that I thought was kind of funny, because the way Gunnar looks in it totally sums up in two words, what he's been like the last several weeks: dirty, and mean.



Dirty: I guess just because he's a boy, and that's how they are, but I just feel like I wipe him down a million times a day, and every time I look at him, he has some sort of nastiness smeared all over him (the last few days, poop). Oh but wait...that's not poop on his face in the picture!  It's chocolate.

Mean: He has just been crabby and mean lately!  I wish I could blame it on teething, but of course that phase is long over.  So I don't know what to blame it on!  His age?  He's pissed off we're making him use the toilet?  My parenting skills leaving a lot to be desired?  I have no idea.  He is just a crabby, crabby little thing as of late.

Ok, well that's it's for now.  Toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment