Tuesday, June 12, 2012

This Time Last Week, We Were __________

You'd think I'd hate my "reality", from how much time I spend bemoaning the idea of having to get "back to reality".  I actually LOVE my reality.  (My reality being the sweetest little boy of all time, whom I missed like crazy while I was gone, and whom I LOVE getting to hang with every day).  And by the way, it really was SO SO SO good to get back home to him.  I enjoyed every single second of my first day back home with him today...watching his swim lessons, a date at chick fil a, a playdate at the sprinkler park, and even ANOTHER date to McDonalds for a cookie after his nap this afternoon.  But gosh....is it ever nice to be waited on hand and foot, while lounging by a pool all day, dining out at amazing restaurants in South Florida, and then collapsing into the most lush hotel bed of all time at the end of your oh-so-exhausting day, only to get up and do it all again the next day.  Call me shallow, but I'm not totally sure I'd ever get tired of that.  Well, maybe I would.  But....maybe I wouldn't.

This was mine and Nason's second time to be away from Gunnar for an "extended" period of time (extended being: more than two nights), and both times, here is how I felt about being gone from him:

- Days Leading Up to Trip: I don't want to go after all!  I'm going to miss Gunnar too much!!  I wish I hadn't agreed to go on a trip.

- First Day Gone: I miss Gunnar!  I wonder what he's doing?  I really wish we were home with him right now!

- Second Day Gone: I still miss Gunnar.  This is pretty nice though.

- Third Day Gone: I still miss Gunnar, but this is REALLY nice, and I kind of wish we were staying a few extra days.

- Fourth Day Gone: I still miss Gunnar, but I could TOTALLY stand to have a few more days alone with his daddy!  WHY didn't we decide to do a solid week vacation?

Anyway, I'm going to write this post, recounting all the highlights of our trip, and then that's it.  I'll be done mourning the end of it, and ready to hit the ground running again here in the real world (which seriously, I really do love).

Highlights:

1) I'm not scared of flying anymore!!!  I seriously don't know what happened.  Last time I flew...no, the last probably five times I flew...I was terrified.  I basically had to sedate myself in order to even appear sane.  I was not being dramatic, or exaggerating, or attempting to get attention, or anything like that.  I was just seriously terrified.  This time, I felt the same way, leading up to getting on the plane, but then....like magic....once I was on the plane, I was totally fine!  Completely cured of my phobia.  I even enjoyed it.  Enough so, that it's appearing in this list of highlights! Crazy!!

2) Our hotel.  Everything about it.  I'm not sure I can ever stay at another hotel again, after staying at the Ritz Carlton.  Here was our room:


Add a crazy big bathroom to that picture, and a balcony overlooking the ocean, and there you go.  Best room ever.

3) The Club Lounge.  There was some promotion at the hotel, and part of our package deal, was that we got full access to the "Club Lounge".  Typically, this would cost you $200 a day, and it would be well worth it.  It's this beautiful, comfy, lounge area, with indoor and outdoor seating, huge TV's, cozy couches, and.....all the food, drink (alcoholic, non-alcoholic, and coffe-ish) that you want, along with your own concierge to attend to any "needs" that you may have.  Talk about being pampered!

4) BMW Resort Driving Tour.  Here, we lucked out again.  Just so happens that BMW is currently doing a promotion, and they had this whole fleet of BMW's (various models, none of which I really know anything about), and if you were a guest at our hotel, and you wanted to take out a BMW for the day, all you did was mosey on down to the front desk, tell them which kind of BMW you wanted, and for how long, and it was yours! It really was that simple.  They even told us, "if you accidentally wreck it, call us, and as long as you aren't intoxicated, we'll just bring you another one of your choice".  What?!?  Anyway, like I said, I don't know a lot about cars...I don't really get all that impressed by even the snazziest of them....but Nason seemed to be pretty pumped, and the cars we took out did have some pretty cool features I must say.  Not even to mention...it was free! No cab fares for us!!

Here's a picture of Nason, in front of one the cars we took out.  The picture is crap, because Nason DESPISES posing for pictures, and basically refuses to do it, but he was in a good mood I guess, because he so graciously decided to grant me a one-second window to snap a shot and be done with it. This was the best I could do:



5) Las Olas Boulevard.  A charming "little" (not really) street, packed with restaurants, shops, bars, and salons.  Twinkling lights everywhere.  Perfect place to stroll around, stuff yourself with good food, and people-watch.


6) People-watching.  Quite possibly the best I've ever done.  Here are the three things that are apparently NOT frowned upon in Fort Lauderdale, that, while a bit inappropriate at times, make for some AWESOME people-watching:

- 70 year old guys dating/married to 20 year old girls
- PDA (and by PDA, I mean "Pretty much Doing it with an Audience)
- Wandering around with your butt-cheeks in full view

Here we are, drinking some way-to-expensive margaritas, in the second best people watching spot in Ft. Lauderdale (the first best being our hotel pool):


7) Our pool.  Ohhhhh it was heavenly.







8) Uninterrupted time and conversations with my Nasie Cat.  Didn't realize just how much we needed that until we got there, but we really did, and it was so nice.  Wouldn't trade it for anything...I love that guy.

9) Uninterrupted reading time.  I read two books while I was there (and had time to read a third, but stupidly only brought two).  One was....The Hunger Games!  I officially caved.  The whole idea of the book seemed kind of stupid and uninteresting to me, so I held off forever, but eventually, my curiosity got the best of me, and I jumped on the bandwagon.  My review of it?  I liked it a lot.  A lot.  It held my attention, kept me interested and entertained.  It was a worthwhile read, for sure. But......I'm not sure it was the best book EVER, and while I DID read it basically all in one sitting, that was mostly just due to the fact that I was at the pool for 4 consecutive hours and had the time to do so.  Not sure I would have been unable to put it down  (as most people claimed they were) if I were at home.  That being said....I am going to buy the second one in the series tomorrow :)

I'm sure there are more highlights, but I'm tired now, and ready to be done with this post.

HUGE thank-you to my in-laws, who not only kept Gunnar for five days, BUT showed him the time of his life while he was there.  I feel a MILLION percent comfortable leaving Gunnar in their care, knowing that he will be taken care of completely, loved on like crazy, and treated like royalty.

Another huge thank-you to my wonderful and amazing husband.  I know technically it's "our" money, but  let's get real here...my "job" isn't generating a lot of cash.  It's generating a pretty awesome kid, but not cash.  So thanks to my sugar daddy for working so hard, and allowing us to be able to go on such an amazing vacation.  I love you, man!

(Speaking of...here's that manly man of mine)







No comments:

Post a Comment