Sunday, April 1, 2012

Weekly Musings

These two things...


make me feel very happy and spring-like.  I bought them on Sunday, and I've used the candle every day, and I think worn the necklace every day too.  I'm pretty sure the necklace does NOT match at least half of the things I wore it with, but like I said..it makes me feel spring-like, and I'm in the mood to feel spring-like.







I failed...
So big...so majorly...in my parenting this week.  As you well know, I've been ALL about "Love and Logic" lately, and ALL about letting Gunnar experience the consequences of his choices, etc etc etc.  Now I know I'm not going to be a perfect parent, and I know just because I'm reading the book, and trying really hard to implement what I'm learning, doesn't mean I'm going to implement it 100% of the time.  I know I should give myself some grace, but.....Gunnar and I had an incident occur at Target that, had I witnessed another mother doing what I did, I would (shamefully) have instantly judged her, and in my head thought "she needs to go read a good parenting book, because she clearly doesn't know what she's doing".  So every time we go to Target (which is OFTEN) Gunnar asks to go look at "Cars" stuff and "Toy Story" stuff.  Not to buy, just to look.  I always let him, and I always tell him "five minutes of looking, and that's all".  He's usually good with that arrangement.  This week, we started with the Cars stuff, and the plan was to move on to the Toy Story stuff a few minutes later.  After browsing on the Cars aisle for a few minutes, I told him it was time to move on, if he wanted to have time to look at the next aisle, too.  He pitched a fit.  As in,  went absolutely crazy.  Ape s**t, if you will.  I've never seen the likes of it, and judging by how other people were looking at me, neither had they.  So, I calmly told him, because of the way he was acting, we would not be able to look at Toy Story stuff, and would instead have to leave.  He then moved up a level from "crazy" to "demon-possessed".  I stuck to my guns. We left the toy section, and worked our way towards the checkout. I had  willpower like you've never seen.  People probably thought I was kidnapping him or something, based on his rageful roars and freakish screams, but I didn't care.  I was not backing down.  And I didn't...for about three minutes.  Then, I pulled our cart over, asked him to please calm down, and...........(covering my face in shame as I write this) told him that if he did, we could go back and look at the Toy Story stuff.  What?!????!????!????  Who AM I?  Surely not the girl that has been touting the merits of "Love and Logic" for months now.  Surely not the girl who sometimes secretly feels so high and mighty when witnessing other moms be so "weak", while all the while vowing NEVER to do the same.  Ugggggggggghhhhhhhh. Ok, so i think I needed that dose of humility, so maybe it was a good thing.  I SWEAR it's not going to happen again any time soon, though.

Vegan...
I KIND of am, again.  Seriously, "kind of".  I had the distinct UNpleasure of viewing some VERY NON-flattering pictures of me from the Capitol 10K last weekend (pictures that not a SOUL will ever see, unless my dad breaks his promise to me, and decides to go public with them, in which case I may disown myself from him).  These pictures made me aware that I SERIOUSLY just cannot allow myself to eat the way I've been eating since December. The "way" being anything and everything in my sight, in portion sizes only suitable for someone in some sort of eating competition.  I've learned that I absolutely need to set boundaries of some sort for myself...if I just say, "I'm going to try to eat better", but don't define what "better" means, I tend to just run wild with it (in a bad way).  So, I'm allowing myself SEVEN non-vegan meals a week, and the rest of the time, it's vegan.  So I could do one non-vegan meal every day, or save them all up for the weekend, or whatever I want.  "Flexibility within set boundaries."  That's my philosophy for just about everything.  So...this week went pretty well, AND I lost 3 pounds!  I think I'm going to do another blog post with some vegan recipes that I've found to actually be REALLY good.  Not just tolerable, not just a hair above disgusting, but actually good.  Because believe it or not...I've actually found a few.

Georgetown Easter Egg Hunt...








(Good pictures, Lance.  You might should consider being a photographer on the side)......

No comments:

Post a Comment