Sunday, April 1, 2012

Love and Logic Tidbits

Since I'm the primary (ok, the only) reader of parenting books, Nason and I are making a point at our Monday night "meetings" to spend a little bit of time talking through some of the things I'm gleaning from the books I read (mostly just Love and Logic right now) to make sure that we stay on the same page with what we're implementing with Gunnar.  So these weekly posts are really helping me out, by making it easy for me to look back and be able to hash out with Nason, the specific points we're trying to focus on.  That being said, here were the things at the forefront of my mind this week:

1) "When our guilt or indecision moves us to step into our children's problems, we cater more to our own emotions, than to our children's needs.  However, most kids want us to understand their feelings, not soothe our own emotional turmoil by offering them solutions"

2) "The more squishy and indecisive we are about our own boundaries [what we're willing to accept from our kids, and what we're not willing to accept], the more soggy and inconsistent we are about the limits we set for our toddlers".
     Ugh.  I can't think of too many more things I'd hate more to be characterized as than "squishy, indecisive, soggy, and inconsistent".  And yet, maybe the reason I so hate those things, is because deep down, I know that often times those four words sum me up pretty well.  In my parenting, and just in general.  I have a super hard time making decisions lots of times, and I hate that about myself, and am constantly striving to NOT be that way, but often times, I still am.

3) "Kids seem most secure around parents who are strong, who don't allow the limits they place on their kids to crumble.  Children lose respects for adults who set limits, but cannot make them stick.  Kids who misbehave without having to face the consequences, become brats".

Love this book!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment