Monday, May 14, 2012

Why I Love Being Gunnar's Mama

In honor of Mother's Day yesterday, I wrote two blog posts dedicated to my two moms.  However, I am, after all, a mother myself, so I thought it only fitting that I also write something about myself as a mom.  Now I am obviously not going to write a post about what makes me a great mom, so instead, I am going to write something much better...why I LOVE being Gunnar's mom.

Top Ten Things I Love About Being Gunnar's Mom

1) I laugh...a lot....every single day.  A funnier little guy, there never was.  I'm telling you.

2) I love having something(one)  to love that much.  It's so true what everyone says...there is no love, like the love you have for your child.  

3) I love that we get to do so many fun things together.  Now, this quite possibly goes against all that a modern woman is supposed to be.  Perhaps it would make me seem smarter, edgier, more independent, more "real woman-ish" if what I WANTED to spend my time doing was climbing up a corporate ladder somewhere, but the truth of the matter is...I'd rather watch Gunnar climb up the ladder at the playground.  Truly.  It's not just that I feel like it's my JOB to stay home with Gunnar...it's just that I WANT to.  I LIKE going to Big Bounce, to the park, to playdates, to the sprinkler park.  I LIKE curling up on the couch with him to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks for the 50th time that week.  I LIKE playing cars with him on his playroom floor.  Ok, no, I actually don't like that one.  I have to admit...I kind of hate playing cars.  I don't ever know what to make them do, or what noises they're supposed to make.  How many times can you drive a car back and forth across the floor, and it still be fun? The answer for me is, "once".  The answer for Gunnar is "a million".  Anyway, you get my drift.  Being a mom is just plain fun.

4) I love getting to watch him grow and change.  It's amazing how fun it is to watch your kid master hitting a baseball, or going down the steep slide at the park, when you've seen a trillion other kids do the same thing before, and couldn't have really cared less about it.  When my Gunnar is the one doing it, it's the coolest thing I've ever seen before.

5) I love that he keeps me on my toes.  There are plenty of days when I might say that I dislike this aspect of him, but really, I love it.  I like that he's got spunk, and he's feisty, and energetic, and smart enough to be mischievous.  I like that he's somewhat of a challenge (a challenge that often times, I fail).  I LOVE that he is the single hugest exercise in patience I have EVER had in my life, and probably ever will have.

6) I love that by being Gunnar's mom, it means I get to watch Nason be Gunnar's dad....and he's awesome at it.  Really, really just amazing.  

7) I love that it took us a long time to get pregnant with him, and that when I finally did, I was SO SHOCKED that it had FINALLY happened, that I will never quit being amazed that we have him, and never quit being so thankful for him.  He is a good reminder, as we try for this second baby, that God's timing is perfect, and that His blessings are worth the wait.

8) I love how random he is with doling out love and affection...he doesn't necessarily give out a ton of hugs and kisses, or tell us "I love you" as often as I would like, but when he does, it's all on his own accord, and it's so spontaneous, that you know it's authentic, and it makes it even more special.

9) I love how smart he is, and how good he is at having conversation.  We spend lots and lots and lots of time talking during the day.  Sometimes, a bit too much for my liking, but at the end of every day...even when in the MIDST of that day, there were moments when all I wanted was for him to be quiet for two seconds... at the end of the day, my heart literally melts thinking back on all of the funny conversations we had, and crazy questions that he asked throughout the day.

10) I love seeing his smile.  Chipped tooth and all.  












No comments:

Post a Comment