Friday, February 3, 2012

Pretty "Radical", Alright...

I just finished reading "Radical" by David Platt.  "Radical" has been on my book list for, like, forever. By the way,  part of being a bookworm, and maybe just a nerdy person in general, means that you do things like this:

Have 4 Booklists...

- Parenting Books
- God Books (I just don't know how to word this category.  Spiritual books?  Jesus books?)
- Just for Fun Books (Fiction, sometimes it may be somewhat intelligent fiction, other times it just may be Trashy Romance Novel caliber)
- Educational books (if I'm learning about SOMETHING, it counts)

Then, every time I hear of a book I want to read, I add it to the appropriate list, and I just constantly cycle through each category.  Seriously, why do I have such a complicated system for reading books?  I really don't know.

Anyway, "Radical" got added to the list probably a year ago, but there was a LOT of books already in line in front of it.  I have to say, I was glad about that fact.  "Radical" is one of those books that you know you should read, and you know it's going to be good, but you know it's going to be incredibly, INCREDIBLY convicting, and therefore, the longer you put off "having" to read it, the longer you can put off "having" to do what it says.

I've been scratching off books from my list all year long, nervously getting closer and closer to "Radical", and then last month, I finally got to it.  Ugh.  So I thought, "Ok.  Let's do this.  Let's just read it, read it fast, get it over with, check it off the list, and move on to Danielle Steele or something".  So is that what I did?  No!!!!  I finished it, THEN suggested to my small group that we all read it together as a group.  What in the world was I thinking???  Why do I want to subject myself to this book a second time??  Honestly, I DON'T want to.  I'm just not sure what came over me, when I suggested that.  .  Here's the thing.. the book WAS good, no doubt, but upon reading it, you really can't just finish it and move on to the next thing.  You have to decide what you are going to do, with what you've read.  I GUESS you could do nothing, but I think after reading it, and CLEARLY hearing God speak to you through it, it would be an awfully risky little gamble to just totally ignore Him.

Anyway, I have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of thoughts on this book.  Things I agree with the author on, things that I'm not sure if I do or not, things I was majorly convicted about, etc.  Rather than make this already much too wordy Blog of mine even wordier, by having one, 30 minute long post on this book, I think instead, as my small group goes through the book a second time, I'll write a series of mini-posts about my thoughts, and our thoughts as a group, on this crazy little book.  Stay tuned for that.


1 comment:

  1. I am thrilled that you finally got to this book. I told you it was one of the books that changed our lives. I would LOVE to debrief it with you and can't wait to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete