Friday, February 3, 2012

Tattoos and Aging

Have you met my sister? She has a lot of tattoos.







I think she pulls the look off well. I couldn't pull off having that many tattoos, and honestly, probably wouldn't want to. It's her style, it's not mine. BUT. But. I DO like tattoos. More lately, than ever. I don't know why. Maybe it's slightly due to Kristin's influence. Maybe it's a genetic thing, and Money-girls are just hardwired to like tattoos, and only one of us (the one that isn't me) has been brave enough to actually GET them, while the other one has just always secretly WANTED to (By the way, I do have two, but they're tiny, and one is a flower on my lower-back, which, for heaven's sake, cannot even be counted. A flower has got to be the #1 Lamest Tattoo Design a person can possibly get, and the only thing lamer than a flower itself, is a flower positioned on your lower back). Anyway, regardless of what the reasons may be, I would really like to get a few more tattoos.

 I have ALWAYS had a thing for forearm tattoos ...and I think that's where I'd like to get one. Or two. But definitely no more than three. I really love the location of this one too:




Here's my issue though....I think I may be too old. What do you think? Here are two things I fear in life:

 1) Aging (kind of ashamed to admit that this is a fear. Yes, I realize that our worth and value has NOTHING to do with appearance, and that wisdom comes with age, and yada yada yada. I really do realize that. I still think it sucks).

 2) Doing goofy things to make it look/seem as though I'm NOT aging, without even realizing that that's what I'm doing.

 I have a fear that getting new tattoos at age 30-rapidly-approaching-31 COULD potentially be a classic example of #2 (or at least be perceived as that).

 So I feel this urgency to hurry up and get them if I'm going to get them.

 30 is still young enough that you can KIND of still lump yourself in with the 20's crowd...the crowd that is DEFINITELY still within the acceptable age range of tattoing. MAYBE you even still can at 31.  By 32 or 33 though, you probably need to go ahead and start lumping yourself  in with 30's and 40's crowd, and unless you are just an authentic Tattoo Person (and I think we can all agree I'm not), you're just too old to be doing such things. At least I THINK that's my opinion. I haven't officially decided, and that's why I'm asking for YOUR input. So weigh in!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so a little offended I might say. ;) Well, since I will be getting my first tattoo at 32 (which according to you is lame) I have to disagree and say that it is totally ok. As long as you are not in your 30's and getting a tattoo to seem/look younger. That is lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't say it was "lame". "Lame" was in regards to the flower tattoo on the lower back. Said I was SKEPTICAL about tattoos after 30, and was looking for feedback. Besides, you look you're 25, so you're ok.

    ReplyDelete