Sunday, March 4, 2012

Weekly Musings

It turns out that....
I can't eat whatever I want, in whatever quantities I want, and NOT gain weight.  Who woulda thunk it?  Mine and Nason's infamous vegan diet kind of tapered off in December, and we just haven't seemed to be able to get back on track.  I think partly due to the fact that I'm running again, and try as I might, I can't seem to convince my subconcious that people who run a lot do NOT automatically have a license to consume 3000 calories a day.  It's also partly due to the fact that I hate vegetables.  I mean, I just really do. How in the HELL are you supposed to be a vegan when you hate vegetables?  I was telling Nason this morning, here's the deal: I can pretty much starve myself (not that I've ever done that) and exercise like a maniac, and I'm capable of losing about 8 pounds total.  That's pretty much the most I've ever lost.  Or, I can live off of cheeseburgers and tater tots, and GAIN about 8 pounds total.  That's pretty much the most I've ever gained.  I never seem to notice a HUGE difference between the two extremes, except maybe having an indentation in my hips at the end of the day, from the waist band of my slightly-too-tight jeans digging into my waist, so I may as well just eat what I want, and forget about it.  Then Nason reminded me, "yeah, but you can still get cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, and premature aging".  Oh yeah.  There is that.  Well crap.

It also turns out that...
I have the skin of of 14 year old kid.  Oh wait...not in a good way.  I don't mean that my skin is youthful and glowing.  It's so not.  I mean that I still break out like a teenager!!!  I NEVER EVER EVER had pimples in junior high or high school, when most people get them.  I'm serious...never.  Then, suddenly, when I was 24, I started getting a bad case of pimple face.  I actually had to start using Proactive.  I've been using it ever since, but it's expensive, and honestly, it's a pain in the butt to haul Gunnar into the mall once a month to buy a new bottle, so this month, I thought, I'm 30 years old for crying out loud.  Surely I don't need medicated face cream.  So I quit using it, and guess what?  I broke out!  Oh my gosh.  My self-esteem has taken a beating this month.  Weight gain and pimples all in one month?  Lovely.  So, it's back to Proactive.

I feel justified.....
In cutting Gunnar's grapes and hotdogs in half.  I have taken a lot of heat over the last two years, for how I cut Gunnar's food up into microscopic bites.  Everyone can lay off me, because in the last 5 months or so, I have eased up a lot, and today, can proudly report that for the most part, Gunnar's morsels are about the same size as all of our his other buddies.  However....I have a thing about grapes and hot dogs.  They freak me out.  Well, hot dogs just freak me out in general.  Gunnar does NOT eat many of them.  They just seem....icky.  But when he DOES eat them, and when he eats grapes, I still cut those suckers up pretty small...and this week, I read an article in a parenting magazine, about how grapes and hotdogs are the NUMBER ONE thing that kids choke (to death!!) on, and that kids UNDER FOUR should NOT eat grapes or hot dogs that have not been cut up.  So there.  I don't want ANY lip, from ANYbody, ANYmore.  When he's four, we'll reassess the situation.

You should...
Live near your parents and/or in-laws if you have kids.  Well I mean, unless you just have a good reason not to.  But seriously....having grandparents (who are willing and eager to keep your kids) nearby is just about the greatest thing ever.  Lucky for us, BOTH sets of our parents live close, and volunteer to watch Gunnar for us often.  This weekend, Little Man stayed Friday night through noon on Saturday at Nason's parents, and although we missed him (seriously, we did), we had the BEST time.  We tried out Contigo, which we'd never been to before.  Super cool.  I had their "Moscow Mule" (vodka, ginger brew, and lime)...tasty.  Go! Try it!  We'll go with you! : )  We should be able to get a sitter pretty easy ; )

I found...
A few never-before seen pictures, on my phone.  My phone is actually Nason's old phone, so I was scrolling through all the pictures, and found a few cute ones he'd taken, that I'd never seen before.  Let's just call this "Picture Dumping for the Sake of Making My Blog More Visually Pleasing"...

So yeah...you may not want to sit in that particular chair when you come to our house.  That's a bit gross, I suppose.  



          The night we brought cupcakes to the Looper's at the hospital, for Benjamin's 1 Week Birthday


Ok, this is a weird one.  My parents have a ping pong table at their house, and Nason and my brother, Josh, invented a game where they hit ping pong balls at each others backs.  I think there's more to the game than that, but I can't remember the details.  This is what a person's back looks like though, when another person hits ping pong balls at it.  


Grammy and Poppy's gift to Gunnar for his birthday


Skyping with the Box's while they were in Uganda!  


Aww. I like this one.  Dancing at the Domain with my (little) man.  


No comments:

Post a Comment